1. On Monday, June 10, 2002, the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board transmitted to the Council of the District of Columbia its nomination of Ms. Maria Delaney as Director of the District of Columbia Alcoholic Beverage Regulation Administration, and requested confirmation of her candidacy. Ms. Delaney currently serves as the Director of the Liquor Control Division for the State of Connecticut's Department of Consumer Protection and has held this key post since 1996. In that role, Ms. Delaney has been responsible for managing the State of Connecticut's alcoholic beverage licensing, investigation, and enforcement functions. Among Ms. Delaney's many accomplishments, she is a Year 2000 recipient of the Government Leaders Against Drunk Driving ("GLADD") and the Connecticut Coalition to Stop Underage Drinking Outstanding Leadership awards. It is anticipated that the City Council will convene a public hearing to consider the candidacy of Ms. Delaney on Monday, June 24, 2002, with a vote on her confirmation on Tuesday, July 2, 2002.
2. The Board approved the Cooperative Agreement, dated May 20, 2002, in the matter of P & R Restaurant, t/a Bombay Café, 4221 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. Class CR. The Cooperative Agreement is between the Applicant and Advisory Neighborhood Commission 3F, North Cleveland Park and Forest Hills. In the Cooperative Agreement, the Applicant agreed to: 1) operate a bona fide restaurant; 2) have a maximum of 75 seats inside for the exclusive use of dining patrons; 3) serve alcoholic beverages in conjunction with full meal service; and 4) present no form of live entertainment or dancing.
3. The Board approved the Cooperative Agreement, dated May 21, 2002, in the matter of Daniel Gogloski, t/a Midnight's Delicatessen, 4701 Georgia Avenue, NW, Class B. The Cooperative Agreement is between the Applicant and Advisory Neighborhood Commissions 4C and 4D. In the Cooperative Agreement, the Applicant agreed:
1) not to to sell single serving containers of beer or malt liquor or single wine containers under 750 ml, unless a food item is purchased (food items do not include gum, mints, candy or like food items); 2) not to sell short stubby cigars, commonly known as "blunt"/"philly blunts;" and 3) not to sell single serving containers of beer, malt liquor or fortified wine once three competitive stores in close proximity no longer sell such items. The Board also released the establishment's license from safekeeping.
4. The Board granted the stipulated license request of DC Sofitel, LLC, t/a Sofitel Lafayette Square, 806 15th Street, NW, Class CH. Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2B approved unanimously a motion to support the issuance of a stipulated license to the establishment. ANC 2B's approval of the stipulated license, does not include approval or support for the establishment's proposed sidewalk café with ABC service; an issue that ANC 2B stated it will take up at a future meeting.
5. The Board temporarily approved the change of hours of operation requests of Stetson's Famous Bar and Restaurant, 1610 U Street, NW; Fado Irish Pub, 808 7th Street, NW; and Addis Ababa Restaurant, 2106 18th Street, NW, to open at 7:00 am. and sell alcoholic beverages at 8:00 am, to accommodate patrons who wish to watch the World Cup soccer competition.
6. The Board approved the new Class CR license application of AOI, Inc., t/a AOI, 1100 New York Avenue, NW. The establishment's permitted hours of operation are Monday through Sunday, from 10:00 am 11:00 pm. The establishment is expected to serve Japanese cuisine and serve customers of all ages. The establishment is not supposed to feature entertainment or provice dancing.
7. The Board approved the Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington's alcoholic beverage server training program called the "Bar Code: Serving Alcohol Responsibly."
8. ANC 2B wrote a letter of support for the license renewal of Katmandu Creation, Inc., t/a Fuzio, 1630 Connecticut Ave., NW, Class CR. ANC 2B also wrote a letter of support for the substantial change request of The Big Hunt, 1345 Connecticut Ave., NW, to change its license from a Class CR (restaurant) to a Class CT (tavern).