On Sunday, October 15, at 7 pm, permanent repair work will resume to the utility cuts on M Street, NW, in Georgetown. The work, by Level (3) Communications, will begin at the east end of M Street (at the Rock Creek Bridge) and move west following a plan worked out by the Division of Transportation (Department of Public Works) with representatives of affected businesses, residents, and Level (3).
The plan takes into account M Street's 24-hour traffic pattern, construction requirements and the need to repave this key artery. Pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular traffic disruptions are minimized by segmenting the work into block-by-block increments. The plan also accommodates users of Key Bridge, Pennsylvania Avenue, and Canal Road.
Bill Starrels, ANC commissioner for the area and Vice Chair of ANC 2E, and Karen Good, executive director of the Georgetown Business and Professional Association, were key community participants in developing the plan.
Media: Every effort will be made to accommodate access to the construction site; however, please obtain permission from the person in charge before entering any work area. Thank you.
M Street Repair: Fact Sheet
Key elements of the resident/business/merchant M Street Repair plan include:
- Schedule: Start at east end near Four Seasons Hotel and move west to Key Bridge in two-block or smaller increments;
- Work Hours: 9:30 am-3:30 pm; 7:00 pm-5 am, Sunday-Thursday; no work 5 am Friday-7pm Sunday;
- Traffic: Two lanes open at all times; three lanes in rush hour direction;
- Intersection Work: At night to minimize disruption;
- Police: Off-duty officers (paid by companies) direct traffic;
- Parking Restrictions: Only for block involved in construction; none on weekends;
- Public Notice: Electric message boards set up at key points; "no parking" signs up at least 72 hours before work begins on each stretch;
- Public Involvement: Plan developed in cooperation with residents, businesses, merchants; consultations with Georgetown University, Arlington County police;
- Halloween, Thanksgiving: No work;
- Deliveries: Trucks park in center work area so they don't block traffic;
- Weather: Inclement weather could delay mid-December completion.
For more information please contact Bill Rice, office (202) 671-2004; cell (202) 437-7787; home (202) 483-2037