Media Contacts: John Lisle at (202) 671-2004
(Washington, DC) The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) would like to remind District residents and visitors that the first-ever Feet in the Street celebration will be held on Saturday, August 29, 2009 in Fort Dupont Park. The park will be closed to motor vehicle traffic from 9 am to 3 pm and walkers, runners, bikers and skaters will have the streets to themselves.
The event, hosted by DDOT and the National Park Service, will be held rain or shine and numerous activities and programs are planned for participants of all ages:
- Guided nature hikes (9:30 am and 12:30 pm)
- Adult mountain bike ride (11 am)
- Bicycle skill session for 8-15 year olds (9:30 am – 12 pm)
- Bike commuting classes (11 am and 1 pm)
- Free 2-hour bike rentals
- Free bicycle and bike helmet raffle for kids
- Interactive boxing demonstrations (Hourly from 9 am – 2 pm)
- Fitness classes (10 am, 12 pm and 1 pm)
- In-line skating clinic (10:30 am)
- Guided skating tours (10:30 am – 2:30 pm)
- “Cops Come Knockn” concert (12-2 pm)
- Community garden tours
- Healthy Food = Healthy Community workshop (10:30 am)
- Invasive plant removal outings (9:30 am – 12 pm)
- Free pedicab rides
- Free blood sugar and blood pressure testing
- Introductory tennis lessons for kids
Participants are encouraged to cycle, walk or take transit to the event if possible, but a limited amount of parking will be available at the Fort Dupont Activity Center. The park is also accessible on Metrobus’ U and V lines. Use Metro’s Trip Planner to plot your route.
For more information about the event and the planned activities, please visit www.goDCgo.com, or contact Anna McLaughlin of DDOT at email@example.com or (202) 478-9121.