(Washington, DC) The District is cracking down on motorists who violate traffic laws in school zones as District students return to school.
The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), using overtime funds from the District Department of Transportation (DDOT), is targeting motorists in school zones. MPD is issuing tickets for speeding, running stop signs, blocking crosswalks, failing to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks, as well as for seatbelt and child restraint violations. Cars hit more than 200 children annually and this program aims to lower the persistent pedestrian fatality and injury problem by alerting motorists to the role they play in pedestrian safety.
"Remember, a child is no match for a motor vehicle, especially one that is speeding," said Director Dan Tangherlini of the District Department of Transportation. "A child hit at 40 mph has only a 15% chance of survival, while a child hit at 20 mph has an 85% of surviving the crash."
"We want to send a strong message that we will not tolerate speeding, running stop signs, failing to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks, or passing school buses that are loading or unloading children. Only a moment of inattention or distraction can claim the life of a child, our most vulnerable pedestrians," said Chief Charles Ramsey of the Metropolitan Police Department.
This is the second pedestrian enforcement effort of 2005. The first effort coincided with the regional Street Smart traffic safety campaign in June. The annual Street Smart Campaign includes radio and transit advertisements promoting safe behavior for pedestrians, bicyclists and motorists.