Media Contacts: Officer Israel James (MPD) at (202) 727-4383; John Lisle (DDOT) at (202) 671-2004
The Metropolitan Police Department has provided the following information regarding street closures and parking restrictions for the Year of the Ox Chinese New Year Parade on Sunday, February 1, 2009. The parade begins at 2 pm in the 500 block of I Street, NW in Chinatown and will conclude in the 600 block of H Street, NW.
Street Closures and Times:
- H Street, NW, between 6th and 7th Streets, from 9 am until 5 pm
- I Street, NW, between 5th and 6th Streets, from 9 am until 3:30 pm.
- I Street, NW, between 5th and 7th Streets, from 1:30 pm until 3:30 pm
- 7th Street, NW, between I and G Streets, from 1:30 pm until 3:30 pm
- G Street, NW, between 7th and 9th Streets, from 1:30 pm until 3:30 pm
- 8th Street, NW, between G and H Streets, from 1:30 pm until 3:30 pm
- H Street, NW, between 8th and 6th Streets, from 1:30 p.m. until 3:30 pm
- 6th Street, NW, between Massachusetts Avenue and G Street, from 1:30 until 3:30 pm
In addition, no vehicles will be allowed to park along the parade route from 7 am until the parade has concluded and the streets are reopened. Motorists should look for temporary no parking signs. Also, street closures are subject to change based upon prevailing or unexpected conditions.
The Metropolitan Police Department wishes to thank the community partners for their assistance in this joint effort. The MPD also advises motorists in the area to proceed with caution as heavy pedestrian traffic is expected.