Media Contact: John Lisle (DDOT) at (202) 671-2004
(Washington, DC) The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is scheduled to temporarily close lanes on the eastbound side of the Southeast Freeway over the next two weekends for the demolition of two RFK access ramps. The ramps cross over the freeway.
On the weekend of January 9 and 10, and again on January 17 and 18, the left lane and shoulder will be closed just prior to the I-295 South and Pennsylvania Avenue split. That means all traffic approaching the split will have to take the I-295 exit. There will be no access to RFK Stadium or Pennsylvania Avenue from the SE Freeway (See the Road Closure Diagram below).
Road Closure Diagram
Motorists may use the following detour route to reach Pennsylvania Avenue (see the Detour Route Map below):
- Take the Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue exit
- Turn left on Good Hope Road, SE
- Turn left on Minnesota Avenue, SE
- Detour Ends - Turn either right or left on Pennsylvania Avenue, SE
In addition, motorists can avoid the detour by taking alternate routes including:
- From the SW Freeway, take the South Capitol Street exit
- Cross the South Capitol Street (Frederick Douglas) Bridge
- Take the Suitland Parkway Exit
- Take the ramp for I-295 North
Detour Route Map