Media Contact Only: John A. Stokes, (202) 673-2195
On Monday, December 8 at 3:15 pm, Mayor Adrian M. Fenty, Ward 1 Councilmember Jim Graham, and DC Department of Parks and Recreation Director Clark E. Ray will join the Ward 1 community and city leaders for a ribbon cutting for the improved Girard Street Playground.
The existing natural grass play surface in the center of the Girard Street Playground, located next to the Columbia Heights Community Center, at 1480 Girard St, NW, was not sustainable due to the heavy use of this park and playground. Based upon community input, DPR installed a new multi-colored poured-in-place rubber play surface in the central open space of this park. The new rubber playing surface will better withstand the high use of this playground. Additionally, the playground will feature a children’s community garden.
Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Girard Street Playground
Monday, December 8, 2008
Girard Street Playground
1480 Girard Street, NW
- Adrian M. Fenty, Mayor
- Jim Graham, Ward 1 Councilmember
- Harry Thomas, Jr., Ward 5 Councilmember and Chair of the Committee on Libraries, Parks and Recreation (Invited)
- Clark E. Ray, Director, DC Department of Parks and Recreation
- Rebecca Lemos and Lola Bloom, Co-Founders, City Blossoms
- Juan Lopez, ANC Commissioner, 1B07 (Invited)