(Washington, DC) The countdown is underway to the September 29 Community Shred event, sponsored by DC government, NBC-4, PNC Bank, Shred-It, and the DC Sports and Entertainment Commission to help District residents safely eliminate personal documents, including credit cards, and reduce the risk of identity theft—one of the fastest growing crimes in America.
The “Safe and Secure Community Shred Event” will allow District residents, in vehicles only, to bring up to five boxes of personal papers and other items to be shredded free of charge. No business or commercial material will be accepted.
||Safe & Secure Community Shred Event|
||Saturday, September 29, 2007, 8 am to 11 am (Note: Cars must be in line by 11 am) |
||RFK Stadium Lot # 7 (next to the playground), C Street, NE, and Oklahoma Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20003|
Identity Theft Prevention Tips:
- Shred confidential information: bills, old credit cards, and even junk mail.
- Order a credit report on an annual basis.
- Do not carry your social security card or have your social security number on your driver’s license or personal checks.
- Do not leave mail in your box over night or weekends.
- Carry only the credit cards you need.
- Consider signing credit cards "Ask for ID" instead of your signature.