The community forum, which is being held jointly by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education and the State Board of Education, will be on December 15 from 6:30 pm to 8 pm at Friendship Public Charter School, Chamberlain Elementary campus. The Chamberlain Elementary campus is located at 1345 Potomac Avenue, SE, conveniently located less than one block from the Potomac Avenue Metro station.
This invitation is intended for all stakeholders—parents, students, school leaders and community members.
The Race to the Top Fund was announced by President Barack Obama and US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan in January. More information is available here: http://www.ed.gov/programs/racetothetop.
At this meeting you will learn about DC's application, who is involved, and the timeline—presented by:
- Kerri Briggs, PhD, State Superintendent of Education
- Lisa Raymond, President, State Board of Education
We are also looking for community input from you. Please bring your ideas around the four elements required by the US Department of Education:
- Standards & Assessment: Adopting standards and assessments that prepare students to succeed in college and the workplace and to compete in the global economy
- Data Systems: Building data systems that measure student growth and success and inform teachers and principals about how they can improve instruction
- Struggling Schools: Turning around our lowest-achieving schools
- Great Teachers and Leaders: Recruiting, developing, rewarding and retaining effective teachers and principals, especially where they are needed most
The District of Columbia is at the center of education reform. Please come lend your voice and ideas to improve education in DC. For more information and to RSVP, please email email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you there!
To request interpretation services please contact (202) 727-4270, or firstname.lastname@example.org, by close of business on Friday, December 11.
Friendship Public Charter School, Chamberlain Elementary campus
1345 Potomac Avenue, SE,
Please share this event* with friends and colleagues.