The second community forum, which is being held jointly by the Office of the State Superintendent of Education and the State Board of Education, will be on Monday, January 11, 2010 from 6:30 pm to 8 pm at the Charles Sumner School. The historic Sumner school is located downtown at the northeast corner of 17th and M Streets, NW, conveniently located near the Farragut North Metro station on the Red Line.
Please come learn about the proposal DC will send to the US Department of Education. At the presentation you will hear what this means for your school, which LEAs plan to participate, and what they plan to do. Again, this invitation is intended for all stakeholders–parents, students, school leaders and community members.
The Race to the Top Fund was announced by President Barack Obama and US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan in January 2009. Applications are due to the US Department of Education by January 19, 2010. More information is available here: http://www.ed.gov/programs/racetothetop. At this meeting you will learn about DC's application presented by:
- Dr. Kerri Briggs, State Superintendent of Education
- Lisa Raymond, President, State Board of Education
Please come hear the District’s plans for exciting reform initiatives around these four requirements:
- Standards & Assessment: Adopting standards and assessments that prepare students to succeed in college and the workplace and to compete in the global economy
- Data Systems: Building data systems that measure student growth and success, and inform teachers and principals about how they can improve instruction
- Struggling Schools: Turning around our lowest-achieving schools
- Great Teachers and Leaders: Recruiting, developing, rewarding and retaining effective teachers and principals, especially where they are needed most
The District of Columbia is at the center of education reform. For more information and to RSVP, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you there!
To request interpretation services please contact (202) 727-4270, or email@example.com, by close of business on Thursday, January 7.
Charles Sumner School
1201 17th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005
Please share this event* with friends and colleagues.